Saturday, April 25, 2009

Links For 4-25-2009

Entertainment And Video Games

Shocker: Fox lied about WOLVERINE leak. They claimed the leaked workprint was missing footage. Reports are that it wasn't. Instead, reportedly, unfinished special effects aside, the workprint was the movie that will be hitting theaters soon. All I know is, all the special effects in the world couldn't save the script of that shitbomb.

Universal puts BIOSHOCK on hold. It was going over budget. Imagine that. A movie about an undersea city that's in a state of decay, costing a lot of money.

Hong Kong's insanely-detailed RESIDENT EVIL 5 figures. I stopped collecting toys a few years ago, but these are so awesome that I might have to make an exception and try to get them.


Check out this ALPHA PROTOCOL walkthrough video. I've been looking forward to ALPHA PROTOCOL since I first read about it. This video has me looking forward to it even more. I do have to say though, judging from the video, the voice acting sounds like it leaves something to be desired.

Only Of Interest To Those In Massachusetts

House leaders consider increasing Mass. sales tax from 5 to 6 percent. Earlier in the week I heard they wanted to double it to 10%. I knew if it were to increase they'd most likely make it just 6% to match Connecticut. Mostly because they knew if they made it higher than the neighboring state, everybody would've just gone there to buy everything. I know I would've.

Big Business Sticking It To The Little Guy

DVD copying case focuses on 'fair use'. I think being able to copy a DVD or Blu-Ray that you own to your hard drive for watching on a computer or home theater PC is "fair use". In fact, I think it's better than those crappy "bonus digital copy" discs they throw in with a lot of movies these days to justify yanking the cost up a few bucks. I'd rather save the money wasted on a DRMed to death digital copy disc that I'm never going to use. I'd prefer to just have a simple way to rip my own digital copy from my legally purchased DVD or Blu-Ray. I've got plenty of movies that I own on disc that I keep a digital copy of on my computer for convenience's sake.

Politicians Defer To Time Warner Lobbyists Who Wrote The Bill They're Pushing. I'll just quote what I think is incredibly horrifying about this whole thing...

During hearings about the law to ban such municipal competition, the politicians pushing the bill that would ban municipal competition were asked to clarify, and rather than answer themselves, the politicians "turned to a Time Warner staff member and an attorney who represents the industry to speak on their behalf." In other words, they outright admitted they didn't understand their own legislation and that the corporate lawyers from the company that would benefit from the legislation understood it better than they did. It's certainly no surprise that lobbyists write the legislation that politicians pass, but usually they at least try to hide it a little bit. Here they're basically flaunting the fact that Time Warner Cable wrote the bill, and the politicians just shuffled it through the process without understanding it. Isn't it great to be a servant of the people?


Time Warner shuts off heavy user's account with no warning. The customer did 44 gigs in a week, which doesn't sound too excessive to me. He was told that that was more than most users use in a year. That sounds like complete bullshit to me. 44 gigs a year works out to roughly 3.7 gigs a month. The only people using less than 3.7 gigs a month are people that barely touch their computers. This whole thing sounds like what was happening to some people on Comcast before they finally announced a firm monthly cap of 250 gigs a month.

Cable: DPI is good for us; Congressman: it's frightening. Deep Packet Inspection sucks. I don't think our ISPs need to know what we're looking at online. At least not without probable cause and a warrant.

Copyright lobbyists threaten to sue book renting firm in Finland. This is a service that rents textbooks, actually textbooks, not eBook copies. I can only anticipate that public libraries are next on the copyright fascist hitlist.

Maybe the Pirate Bay should just pay Hollywood for all the advertising it's done. Thanks to the trial, even with the guilty verdict (by the corrupt judge), the site's traffic and popularity has increased.

0 comments:

Post a Comment