Friday, April 24, 2009

Links For 4-24-2009

Craigslist Serial Killer? Well, you know what's coming, right? It had to happen: blame Craigslist gang comes out. I guess these people aren't aware that there were serial killers well before the invention of Craigslist. I'm just busy hoping they don't find any video games in his home.

Yahoo pulls the plug on GeoCities. This site actually started on Geocities. (Of course, that was many many moves, a domain name, and a few other moves ago.) It's kinda sad to see "Geoshities" go, since it's been around for so long.

Looks like my city is suing Comcast. Springfield charging fraud and breach of contract in lawsuit against Comcast Cable. With the contract with the city almost up, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Honestly, at this point, as bad as Comcast is, they're better than Charter or Time Warner, which are the most likely possible replacements.

Copyfight

Biden to MPAA: you'll like Obama's pick for copyright czar. Is there any doubt left as to who *really* runs the government? They're not even bothering to try and hide it anymore. Don't get me wrong, I think if you download something and like it, you should buy it. That's why I've got a ridiculously large DVD and Blu-Ray collection. But a good chunk of my collection is stuff that I wouldn't have bought without seeing it first somehow, including "illegal" downloading.

Pirate Bay judge accused of bias, calls for a retrial. Unsurprisingly, the judge in the Pirate Bay case has connections to the copyright lobby. Multiple connections. Can you say conflict of interest? How about biased? Yeeeeah.

Meanwhile, with the guilty verdict not yet overturned, Swedish anti-pirates threaten BitTorrent trackers.

Spanish file sharing admin sent to jail... despite not breaking the law. Expect to see more of this sort of thing all over the world.

Entertainment

DOCTOR WHO: Gillian Anderson is the Rani? That's the rumor going around. I'm not all that big a fan of Anderson or the Rani character. So it's hard for me to muster much enthusiasm. I'm just hoping that Moffat can restore my interest in the show. I still haven't watched the last two specials (Christmas and Easter), and sort of feel like they're just wasting space on my external hard drive.

30 DAYS OF NIGHT's David Slade will helm TWILIGHT: ECLIPSE. How one goes from the awesomeness of the vicious bloodsuckers in 30 DAYS to the utter shit that is the TWILIGHT series is baffling to me. I can now speak with some authority on that subject, since I broke my vow never to watch TWILIGHT thanks to the Rifftrax of that terrible terrible movie. Shitty special effects, and the worst writing and acting I've *ever* seen. And that's saying a lot. The Rifftrax absolutely nails that movie. Without the Rifftrax commentary that movie would've been unwatchable.

It's official: Arnold Schwarzenegger will be back in TERMINATOR SALVATION. At least, he will be as old footage digitized into the new movie. I wonder why the TV series didn't do everything they could to get an Ah-nuld appearance. It might've given them a ratings boost.

NBC cuts HEROES episode order for season four. The fact that HEROES is even getting renewed is shocking. It's been and continues to be terrible and is constantly hemorrhaging viewers. My head will probably explode if they kept HEROES and wind up canceling CHUCK.

Who will buy SIN CITY 2? I guess the rumors from a few weeks back that the Weinstein Company weren't interested in keeping the sequel that were denied are true. Maybe they watched THE SPIRIT. (Which is only one notch above TWILIGHT on the awful meter.)

Robert Rodriguez confirms PREDATOR series reboot - PREDATORS. Is that sort of like Cameron making ALIEN into ALIENS? Anyway, in addition to the new PREDATOR flick, Rodriguez's GRINDHOUSE trailer, MACHETTE is finally getting made: Robert Rodriguez and Ethan Maniquis to direct MACHETE.

Video Games

Forget video games... look at the evil influence of the board game MONOPOLY. Amusing stuff, pointing out the ways that MONOPOLY can be a potential negative influence. Really, with the right slant, you can do that to anything. Stuff like children's stories... SNOW WHITE has necrophilia and poisonings. HANSEL AND GRETEL has two kids burning a woman alive after she tries to eat them, so that's murder and cannibalism. GOLDILOCKS AND THE THREE BEARS is about home invasion. See? It's all in how you present something.

BIOSHOCK 2

A bunch of game websites got to spend a little time checking out BIOSHOCK 2. (I'm so jealous!) Here's links to their thoughts...

Joystiq impressions: BIOSHOCK 2

First look: BIOSHOCK 2 takes bold trip back to Rapture

Preview: BIOSHOCK 2

BIOSHOCK 2 impressions: Spoilers? What spoilers?

Then there's a little more BIOSHOCK 2 info...

It's a BIOSHOCK 2 screenshot extravaganza!

Joystiq interview: BIOSHOCK 2

BIOSHOCK 2's music will sound familiar, rejoice. Cool! I liked the soundtrack from the first game. Along with FALLOUT 3, it's the soundtrack I find myself listening to the most.

0 comments:

Post a Comment