Thursday, April 23, 2009

Links For 4-23-2009

I just didn't feel like breaking things up into categories today. So here's a bunch of links jumbled together.

Acting CFO of Freddie Mac found dead this morning. Looks like a suicide. I wonder why he decided to off himself.

A lawyer, some teens and a fight over 'sexting'. What I find interesting is that the pictures were found on phones confiscated by the school. Call me crazy, but I didn't think the school would have any legal right to go through a student's phone, confiscated or not. I would also like to note that "sexting" has bumped "bromance" from being the number one idiotic term that makes me want to hit people in the mouth with a sock full of quarters.

China jails pirate porn peddlers—mostly because of the porn. Just an observation, but did you ever notice the countries that are the most uptight with censorship and banning things like porn, are usually the ones that have all of conflicts with other nations? Seriously, look at a good chunk of the middle east. No porn there. Lots of violence. Looks like China is headed in that direction.

Cyber criminals industrialize to increase effectiveness.

Mac trojan horse used in denial-of-service attacks. So much for Mac's not getting viruses, huh?

No data caps, no DOCSIS 3.0? TWC's math doesn't add up. A closer look at Time Warner taking their ball and going home because people were angry about crappy bandwidth caps. It's all about greed. The company claims that they need more money to upgrade their networks, while others are pointing out that the company's broadband profits are going up and expenses continue to drop. Once again, it's "pay more, get less".

Of course, it does my heart good to read so much support for getting rid of bandwith caps. Stories like this one: No evidence to support the need for broadband tiers or caps or this one: Group asks Congress to investigate download limits, again.

Lobbyists get congress to investigate P2P software... rather than bad security and employee carelessness. Honestly, leaked confidential documents have little to nothing to do with P2P. It's usually incompetence or a disgruntled employee that allows these things to get leaked.

Paul McCartney's confused about the Pirate Bay. My favorite quote from this story has to be, "It's a pity that they might actually have to continue working, rather than living off one single hit?" I always enjoy Techdirt's tech on these things. That's probably why it's one of my favorite technology blogs. I enjoy how they love to take the piss out of the idiocy of companies (and in this case wealthy individuals) clinging desperately to outdated and dying business models.

Swedish Pirate Party doubles in size after Bay verdict. We need something like this over in the States.

Warner Bros. launches Red2Blu program, offers Blu-Ray Copies of HD-DVDs you own (for a small fee). I have a bunch of Warner Bros HD-DVDs that I inherited from my late brother. The smart move would be to upgrade those discs to Blu on the cheap through this program, but I honestly just can't bring myself to sell off or trade in his stuff. I guess I'll just have to rebuy the stuff I really like on Blu if/when the Xbox HD-DVD add-on stops working.

Utah bill sponsor apologizes to colleagues for Jack Thompson. You have to admire the way he even gets people who agree with his crazy video game censorship ideas to shun him. It takes a certain "special" type of personality to burn that many bridges and do it so quickly. Meanwhile, it looks like he'll remain disbarred: Supreme Court on Jack Thompson appeal: no thanks.

A $500 PC that can kick CRYSIS' ass. Almost 2 years later, and we're still using CRYSIS as the benchmark?

No sh*t: PSP piracy has taken a 'huge chunk' of game sales. You know what else might've hurt PSP game sales? The lack of anything worth getting for it. The only PSP titles I can recall being in my collection are the two GRAND THEFT AUTO games, and METAL GEAR: PORTABLE OPS. I might have one or two others, but I can't remember them at the moment. Honestly, the majority of the stuff that is out there for the PSP isn't even worth pirating.

It's ThinkGeeking: Online retailer selling new Dreamcasts. $100 for a Dreamcast? I bought mine brand new back in 2002 for $25. I think they even threw in a lightgun and HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2.

0 comments:

Post a Comment