Wednesday, March 4, 2009

TV From 3-3-2009 And 3-4-2009

Only two shows, but this one wound up fairly wordy. (I wrote this paragraph last. Time travel!)

REAPER: Tuesday night has recently become a barren TV wasteland for me. So the return of REAPER, a show that I like but don't love, was a good thing. The new season opened with what seemed to be huge sweeping changes to the status quo, but things were back to normal before the episode was half over. There were some changes. For instance, I guess instead of implying that Sam is the son of Satan, like they did all last season, now they're just outright saying it. Speaking of Satan, Ray Wise's Satan is still the best character on the show. Sock was given a Japanese step-sister. Other than that, it seems to be back to formula. I wonder if this show, which I'm surprised even got a second season, will be finished after this year. It's definitely the ugly stepchild of the CW's lineup, since it doesn't seem to be aimed exclusively at the young female demographic. I like the show enough to watch it, but I can't imagine that I could muster much disappointment or outrage if they canned it. Hopefully the show resolves all of the dangling plotlines before it ends.

Wednesday and Thursday nights are tough. I habitually sit down to watch TV between 7 and 8. If it's 7, then I usually watch ATTACK OF THE SHOW and flip around during the commercials. This works out well, since most nights there's stuff on at 8 that I watch. But this year, there's nothing that I watch in the 8PM timeslot in the middle of the week. So I usually have to try to find a movie, or try to find little thing on OnDemand to occupy my time. Sometimes, those things make me doze off like the Guitar World OnDemand guitar lesson with former Megadeth guitarist, Marty Friedman, that I was watching earlier tonight did. I almost missed LOST. (I actually did fall asleep watching one of the LOST recaps with pop-up notes a few weeks back. I woke fifteen minutes into the new episode and had to hit the rewind on the remote. Luckily my cable box buffered back that far.)

LOST: I sound like a broken record this year, a real record not an analogy for jumping through time, but I really enjoyed this episode. The worst thing about these episodes, is that they flesh out the happenings of one group and make it so interesting and end on a cliffhanger, that it's a bit frustrating when the next episode comes on and it doesn't pick up where the last one left off. Then you get sucked in by that storyline, and well, you can guess what happens.


This time around we get to see how Sawyer and his group managed to become part of the Dharma Initiative back in 1974 and make a life for themselves there. So the mystery of Daniel working on Dharma stuff and Jin driving the van is pretty much solved. We also get to see a change to the love triangle, ummm square. I've gone from really liking Kate* to hating the character, so the development here is a good thing. Although it looks like the return of Jack, Kate, and Hurley is going to throw a wrench in the works.

* I still dig Evangeline Lilly. The writers have just made her character incredibly annoying.

All in all, we got more answers than questions this week, and it didn't feel like filler. (Yeah, I'm taking a little potshot at you BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!)

I'm irritated that LOST is a repeat next week. I thought starting the season in January, like 24, was supposed to eliminate the scheduling problems that made watching season 2 a headache. (I've heard from a friend that season 2 flows much better on DVD. He didn't watch it live, so he didn't have the "one new episode, three weeks of repeats" that nearly killed a lot of people's interest in the show back then. I still say that the episodes I remember from season 2 weren't as good as the ones from the season that preceeded or the seasons that followed it.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment