Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Links For 3-4-2009

Entertainment

Danny Boyle 'has no plans to direct' next James Bond film, despite being a 007 fan. So that's the end of that rumor.

CBS sticking with Men and Big Bang. BIG BANG THEORY got picked up for two more seasons. I watch that show, so I guess that's good news.

Other Things

Make your own lightsaber on the cheap! I'll have to watch this video and maybe one day I'll actually find the motivation to do one of these DIY projects.

A followup to story about the idiot who called the police about her "McNugget emergency": McDonald's apologizes to 911 nugget lady. That's insane. McDonald's will apparently do anything to shut a complainer up, no matter how crazy or dumb that complainer might be.

Daily MPAA/RIAA Sucks Soapbox Links!

MPAA payoffs to be markedly less meaty from now on. First the RIAA having a bunch of layoffs, not the MPAA's funding is getting slashed a bit. 2009 is off to a good start. Of course, the threat is still out there... Leaner RIAA still moving to terminate online access of copyright scofflaws. (I'm not all that worried. The only music I find myself downloading these days is the occasional video game soundtrack. Most of the time that can be ripped straight from the game disc.)

Hollywood-funded study concludes piracy fosters terrorism. Now they must mean those pirated DVDs that people sell on the streets or in the flea markets in places like Hong Kong. Because some college kid who's torrenting WATCHMEN for free isn't funding anything except his ISP. Of course the MPAA won't spin it that way. After all, they paid for a study to say exactly what they wanted it to say, right?

What the RIAA efforts have really been about: controlling channels. Computers and the internet have made record labels obsolete and they know this. It terrifies them. Musicians don't need them anymore. You don't need a record company to pay for an expensive studio anymore. Musicians can do it all at home on the cheap, and then promote and distribute themselves. It's not just the future, in many ways, it's right now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment