Monday, March 23, 2009

Monday Night TV From 3-23-2009

CHUCK: Well, this episode certainly shook things up a bit. Chuck finally learns that the government, the same government that wanted to assassinate him in the first episode of the season, wants to keep him exactly like he is right now. I wonder if they'll try and give him a tighter leash now that they know he's actively working to restore his life to normal. It seems like he'll be getting some actual spy training soon. The fakeout with The Mummy apparently committing suicide was a pretty obvious feint. The Buy More plot was a bit stupid this week. Next week, Tricia Helfer shows up. I think she's competing with Mark Sheppard to be the BSG cast member to appear on the most TV shows at once.

HEROES: One of the things I always thought would be best to fix Hiro would be to give him back his powers, but impose new limitations on him. Make him able to stop time, which, as of this episode, he can do again. Also give him back the ability to teleport. Take away his ability to travel back and forth in time, or make it extremely physically difficult (maybe even dangerous) to travel in time. I thought a more natural solution to restoring his powers would be to have either him or Ando realize that all Ando has to do is juice Hiro up with his own power. Anyway, we got an alternate solution to that problem with baby Matt Parkman.

It's obvious that Ali Larter's character* didn't really die. (The winking frozen head fragment clearly points to that.)


* I can never keep the character name straight, since she's played three identical women on the show.

It sucks that Daphne really did get offed though. I thought her last scene was going to be her getting killed by Syler, since Matt suddenly being able to fly didn't make any sense. So, figuring out a few seconds later that it was a telepathic hallucination in her dying moments before it was revealed to be just that was a nice.

The reveal of Rebel, as Micha, was incredibly obvious. That kid's in a pilot for another show, so it doesn't look like his return is permanent.

The bare minimum usage of Peter, and the complete exclusion of Syler and Claire was a welcome relief this week.

24: Looks like this week's episode served as a setup episode for next week, where Starkweather's part in the events of the day have been revealed. It's dead certain that Jack will be fine despite his exposure to the chemical weapon. (They've already said he'll be back next year.) I'm pretty much bored with the president's daughter (aka Sherry Palmer 2.0) storyline. It's a shame she didn't get offed in the attack on the White House a few episodes back.

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER: Well, after the goodness of last week's episode, I'm back to not really enjoying the show that much. There were a few funny moments, but overall I was bored watching this. I also hate Ted. I wish he wasn't the center of the show, and that they'd just ditch him and re-title the show. That having been said, the homage to the opening credits of SNATCH was pretty cool.

2 comments:

Equis said...

Pobre Daphne, I dug her. And I didn't realize how refreshing it was to have less Peter, Claire and Sylar till you mentioned it. I knew there was something I liked about this ep.

Mike said...

Daphne was, so far, pretty much the only good thing to come out of season three. In fact, it's funny how out of all of the new characters created in seasons 2 and 3, she's the only one who caught on with the audience at all. (Even Kristen Bell's Elle wasn't as popular as VERONICA MARS/HEROES fans thought she'd would've been.) So, of course they killed her off.

We did get some Peter this week, but it was mercifully brief. Still, his motivation changed in the span of single, yet again. Didn't he just declare the last time we saw him that he didn't want anything more to do with his mother or brother? (Well, it's not like he's the only one who gets plotlines that drop at the drop of the hat. Spending a big chunk of an episode setting Claire up in a job that she most likely will never go to or will ever be referenced again, felt like a gigantic waste of time and a swipe at a good sized chunk of the viewing audience.)

Syler worked best before they cast an actor. Back when we didn't know what he looked like, who he was, or why he was doing what he did. The idea of a mystery involving a superhuman serial killer hunting down other superhumans works well. (It might've been a nice twist for one of the main cast or recurring supporting characters to turn out to be Syler. Maybe even one of the characters we didn't think had powers, like the lady cop that was played by Clea Duvall.) Turning him into some sort of whiner with daddy issues and giving him an aborted redemption plot? Not so much.

Post a Comment