Tuesday, March 24, 2009

An Attempt At Shilling DVDs And Blu-Rays (It's Been Awhile)

I haven't done a "weekly buy some DVDs or Blu-Rays through me" post in a long time. Since September if my memory serves me correctly. Still, this is a pretty big home video week, especially for Bond fans, so I figured I'd do one this week.

First up is the newest Bond movie, QUANTUM OF SOLACE, which is a sequel to CASINO ROYALE. Opinions were mixed on this one, but they were bound to be considering this movie had to follow a movie as strong as ROYALE.

QUANTUM OF SOLACE (Blu-Ray) - the version that I'll be getting

QUANTUM OF SOLACE (Two-Disc Special Edition DVD) - what I'd be getting if either it wasn't out on BD or if I didn't have a BD player.

QUANTUM OF SOLACE (DVD) - the single disc version. Best for people who just want to watch the movie and rarely watch extras.


Since the three older Bond movies coming out this week are new to Blu-Ray, but have been out on DVD for a long time, I'm just linking to the Blu-Ray releases.

Widely considered to be the best and most beloved of the Connery-era Bond movies, GOLDFINGER hits Blu-Ray this week. In my opinion, it's definitely among the three best Connery Bond movies, (along with FROM RUSSISA WITH LOVE and THUNDERBALL), and I've been waiting for it to hit Blu. Pick up GOLDFINGER [Blu-ray] or if you're into the steelbook collecting thing, get the GOLDFINGER (Amazon.com Exclusive Steelbook Edition) [Blu-ray].

Next is considered to be one of the worst, if not *the* very worst Bond movies of all time, MOONRAKER. I plan on picking it up because I want the entire series, but this one is definitely at the bottom of my "to buy" pile. Anyway, pick up MOONRAKER [Blu-ray] if you want a Bond that you can mercilessly make fun of while watching. Or if you want to waste about a buck more, pick up MOONRAKER (Amazon.com Exclusive Steelbook Edition) [Blu-ray]

Finally, the last "new to Blu" Bond release is my second favorite from the Brosnan era. THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH seems to take a bit of a beating from critics and fans, but along with GOLDENEYE, I think it's the best of the Bronan movies. Sure, Denise Richards can't act, but back in 1999 she was still nice enough to look at. If nothing else, this movie is far more worthy of being upgraded to Blu-Ray and purchased than MOONRAKER or DIE ANOTHER DAY (which I own). So grab yourself THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH (Blu-Ray), or if you've got champagne taste, splurge for THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH (Amazon.com Exclusive Steelbook Edition) [Blu-ray]

If you want all three older movies without their individual packaging then the James Bond Blu-ray Collection Three-Pack, Vol. 3 (MOONRAKER/ THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH / GOLDFINGEr) [Blu-ray] might be for you.

Also, not on Blu-Ray, ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE is finally getting an individual DVD release in it's remastered form. This one didn't get released individually the last time the movies were re-issued. (It was available remastered in the box sets.)

Finally, the non-canon "fake" Bond movie that Sean Connery did, NEVER SAY NEVER again is also coming out on Blu-Ray this week. Honestly, you'd be better off watching the original version of this story, THUNDERBALL, which had an in his prime Connery. I really think this is for completists only: NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN [Blu-ray] or the new version on DVD, NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN

WATCHMEN was a bit of a commercial flop theatrically. Still, I think it'll find its audience on DVD. Some of the material that had to be cut from the movie for time considerations is hitting home video before the actual movie. So if you can't wait for the super "everything including the kitchen sink" version of the movie to come out, you should pick up WATCHMEN: TALES OF THE BLACK FREIGHTER & UNDER THE HOOD (+ Digital Copy) [Blu-ray] or WATCHMEN: TALES OF THE BLACK FREIGHTER & UNDER THE HOOD.

My brother and I loved watching THE VENTURE BROS, and particularly enjoyed the third season. This time in addition to DVD, this season is coming out on Blu-Ray. Picking up THE VENTURE BROS.: Season Three (DVD) or THE VENTURE BROS.: Season Three [Blu-ray] would be a wise comedy investment.

Last, but not least... If you're like me, you really only liked the first MATRIX movie. The sequels were a big disappointment, and it sucks that if you wanted to buy the HD version of the first movie you also had to get the other two. Well now, the first movie is coming out by itself on Blu-Ray: THE MATRIX 10th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Book [Blu-ray]. So, if you've been waiting to grab this movie in HD, now's the time. Me? I'll stick with my HD-DVD set of all three for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment