A bunch of links and picture of a pretty actress. What more could you ask for out of your Thursday?
Showbiz
SIN CITY confirmed for April Blu-ray release. Well, that's certainly going on my "to buy" list. I enjoyed the theatrical cut, and I'm sure I'd be better served upgrading from my standard-def DVD of this movie than investing any money into seeing THE SPIRIT.
New films lighten up recession-weary audiences. Among those films is CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC. A movie that, being a heterosexual man, I'm clearly not the audience for, no matter how beautiful I find Isla Fisher. My first reaction when I caught the commercial for the movie was that it has to be one of the worst timed releases in movie history. Honestly though, you really do have to almost feel sorry for the people putting out a this movie given the timing. A movie about a woman who's biggest problem is that she can't stop spending exorbitant amounts of money on useless expensive things could be a hard sell during one of the worst economic crisis in decades. People are losing jobs at record rates, most people are struggling to keep a roof over their heads and foods in their bellies, and here comes a movie about a shallow (but cute) girl throwing money around like it's nothing. Over at Film School Rejects, one of my favorite movie blogs, they seem to agree: CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC insults us with new images.
Showbiz
SIN CITY confirmed for April Blu-ray release. Well, that's certainly going on my "to buy" list. I enjoyed the theatrical cut, and I'm sure I'd be better served upgrading from my standard-def DVD of this movie than investing any money into seeing THE SPIRIT.
New films lighten up recession-weary audiences. Among those films is CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC. A movie that, being a heterosexual man, I'm clearly not the audience for, no matter how beautiful I find Isla Fisher. My first reaction when I caught the commercial for the movie was that it has to be one of the worst timed releases in movie history. Honestly though, you really do have to almost feel sorry for the people putting out a this movie given the timing. A movie about a woman who's biggest problem is that she can't stop spending exorbitant amounts of money on useless expensive things could be a hard sell during one of the worst economic crisis in decades. People are losing jobs at record rates, most people are struggling to keep a roof over their heads and foods in their bellies, and here comes a movie about a shallow (but cute) girl throwing money around like it's nothing. Over at Film School Rejects, one of my favorite movie blogs, they seem to agree: CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC insults us with new images.

I love how in the article they make a preemptive attempt at spinning the possible negative perception of the movie: "CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC might let people vicariously live through Isla Fisher." That has to be the quote from that article that made me laugh the hardest. I can, especially given the current climate, imagine that watching that sort of capricious spending would rub a lot of people the wrong way. Then again, when I picture the future, all I can see are shantytowns like the ones Rowdy Roddy Piper winds up living in briefly at the start of THEY LIVE. (Shame on you if you didn't get that movie reference.) We're probably only a year or so away from those popping up all over the country. That sort of thing means that most of us won't have the money to see any movie, let alone one that looks as dumb as this one.
Technology
Cox ready to throttle P2P, non "time sensitive" traffic. Well, it certainly makes sense that an ISP whose name when spoken aloud can be confused with a slang word for a man's equipment is screwing it's paying customers. It's not just people downloading movies or music getting the shaft from Cox. (Get it? Har har.) Among those non "time sensitive" bits of traffic are perfectly "innocent" things like software updates.
Luckily, Google wants to help regular people identify the ISPs that are trying to under-serve their customers: Google begins effort to find Internet blockers
AT&T and Comcast willing to cut off file sharers. Of course they don't want that getting out because it will cause "negative publicity" and a "backlash". At least the UK seems to be rejecting this sort of "guilty until proven innocent" tactic.
House fails to pass digital TV delay bill. So much for that delay I was writing about yesterday! Again, if you've managed to miss all of the news coverage and barrage of annoying commercials about the switch, and are somehow unaware of it, I can't dredge up any sympathy for you.
Video Games
NY bill might keep nasty games in a locked container. Under this law Retailers would be required to keep games that "glamorize... the commission of a violent crime, suicide, sodomy, rape, incest, bestiality, or sado-masochism..." either in an area "inaccessible by the general public" or "in a sealed and locked container." Aside from the violence, I've yet to encounter many of those other themes in games. Will retailers in NY have to lock up THE DARK NIGHT which "glamorized the commission of violent crime", including making some nutbag go off a bunch of babies? Obviously, I don't support banning movie based on the actions of one lunatic who could've just as well been set off by his refrigerator talking to him, or a squirrel telling him that he must kill. Crazy people will always find something to kill over.
STREET FIGHTER IV alternate costumes. Might be a nice break from the same designs we've been looking at for nearly twenty years.
Keiji Inafune mentions LOST PLANET, DEAD RISING sequels, may be multiplatform. Of course, those sequels aren't officially confirmed. Personally, I'm hoping for more DEAD RISING.
The guns, beauty and cities of FINAL FANTASY XIII. Looks like this will be a good looking game. Like I said recently, if it plays similar to XII, I'm interested.
Rockstar's Dan Houser favors creative freedom over respect. Dumptrucks full of money probably also cushion the blow of the lack of mainstream media respect. At least, that's how I would look at it.
Technology
Cox ready to throttle P2P, non "time sensitive" traffic. Well, it certainly makes sense that an ISP whose name when spoken aloud can be confused with a slang word for a man's equipment is screwing it's paying customers. It's not just people downloading movies or music getting the shaft from Cox. (Get it? Har har.) Among those non "time sensitive" bits of traffic are perfectly "innocent" things like software updates.
Luckily, Google wants to help regular people identify the ISPs that are trying to under-serve their customers: Google begins effort to find Internet blockers
AT&T and Comcast willing to cut off file sharers. Of course they don't want that getting out because it will cause "negative publicity" and a "backlash". At least the UK seems to be rejecting this sort of "guilty until proven innocent" tactic.
House fails to pass digital TV delay bill. So much for that delay I was writing about yesterday! Again, if you've managed to miss all of the news coverage and barrage of annoying commercials about the switch, and are somehow unaware of it, I can't dredge up any sympathy for you.
Video Games
NY bill might keep nasty games in a locked container. Under this law Retailers would be required to keep games that "glamorize... the commission of a violent crime, suicide, sodomy, rape, incest, bestiality, or sado-masochism..." either in an area "inaccessible by the general public" or "in a sealed and locked container." Aside from the violence, I've yet to encounter many of those other themes in games. Will retailers in NY have to lock up THE DARK NIGHT which "glamorized the commission of violent crime", including making some nutbag go off a bunch of babies? Obviously, I don't support banning movie based on the actions of one lunatic who could've just as well been set off by his refrigerator talking to him, or a squirrel telling him that he must kill. Crazy people will always find something to kill over.
STREET FIGHTER IV alternate costumes. Might be a nice break from the same designs we've been looking at for nearly twenty years.
Keiji Inafune mentions LOST PLANET, DEAD RISING sequels, may be multiplatform. Of course, those sequels aren't officially confirmed. Personally, I'm hoping for more DEAD RISING.
The guns, beauty and cities of FINAL FANTASY XIII. Looks like this will be a good looking game. Like I said recently, if it plays similar to XII, I'm interested.
Rockstar's Dan Houser favors creative freedom over respect. Dumptrucks full of money probably also cushion the blow of the lack of mainstream media respect. At least, that's how I would look at it.
6 comments:
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Strange, I bought Sin City on blu-ray in December. No bunus features though.
Sorry, that should say 'bonus'.
SIN CITY hasn't come out on BD in the US. I did come out on Blu-Ray in Canada, Japan, and Scandinavia. I assume you're in Canada? I remember reading that that version had zero extras.
Ahhh,now I see. I figured if it was out here (Canada), that it had to be out in the US. At least it was only $12.99
Yeah, with DVDs and Blu-Rays, we're the same region, but some things come out there before here.
Post a Comment