Friday, January 30, 2009

Links For 1-30-2009

Video Games

T2 whines about used games - a day after industry touts record sales. I like the games Take 2 puts out (GRAND THEFT AUTO and BIOSHOCK, for instance), but this sounds a bit like pure greed.

FINAL FANTASY XIII battle system exposed, explored. Looks like a step backward. I'm still waiting on confirmation that encounters will be handled like in XI and XII and none of the previous versions of the games.

Business

What red ink? Wall Street paid hefty bonuses . In the event of an uprising I imagine that these greedy pricks will be the first ones handed blindfolds and lined up against the wall. (I hope they save mandatory gladiatorial battling it out to the death for people who star in reality TV shows.) I'm in favor of capitalism, but reading this sort of thing makes my blood boil in righteous indignation. (Or it could be what I had for dinner. I can never really tell.)


Is DVD dilemma on Hollywood's horizon? Technicolor owner Thomson needs cash. Considering how much money movies made last year, and how many movies use Technicolor, I don't see how they can be in financial trouble. I guess I just don't understand big business.

Anti-piracy measures don't work, report shows. People will always find a way around restrictions placed on content. But hey, if these companies want to blow millions upon millions of dollars on protection schemes that don't work, that's their prerogative.

Movies

Who goes there again - THING prequel/reimagining gearing up. John Carpenter's version of THE THING is perfect the way it is. It doesn't need a prequel or a sequel. I suppose I can live with a prequel, even though there can't be much suspense in that: everybody dies. A sequel would've been a bigger mis-step, since THE THING has one of the best movie endings ever. Ruining the ambiguity of that ending would be a cinematic crime.

Ready for another RESIDENT EVIL movie? No? Don't worry, I'm not either. I get the feeling they'll crank them out endlessly. If they stop making money in theaters, it'll be straight to video. I bought the first one on DVD, because even though I never fell in love with the movie, I watched it so many times on cable that it became some sort of comforting background noise. I got the second one on DVD from my brother when he got an upgrade of that one on Blu-Ray (for free for buying his PS3). Now, I've got that Blu-Ray, and then at Christmastime, Amazon had a buy 2 get one free sale, and the first two titles I bought were ones I actually wanted, and when I couldn't find a third on my wantlist, I just grabbed the Blu-Ray of the first one. All of which is a ridiculously long way of saying, "I think these movies are mediocre at best, yet I own them twice over because I got them for free."

Can anyone explain to me why PREDATOR needs to get rebooted? Just making a third movie seems better than a reboot. It's been so long since the last movie, if you don't count the AVP flicks, that it doesn't need to be re-started.

0 comments:

Post a Comment