Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fallout 3: A Quick Look

I'm definitely one of those people really enjoying FALLOUT 3. Despite that, I'm pulling myself away from that post-apocalyptic wasteland to share a few thoughts on the game.

I haven't beaten the game yet, and even if I do, it seems to have plenty of replay value.

The first portion of the game, like most games where it's a bit of a tutorial section, is pretty tedious. Like I said though, it's to be expected, and most games have to get the in-game tutorial out of the way early. You do all of your character customization there while learning the controls. It seems a bit slow until it's time to escape from Vault 101.

Here's a quick look at the environment in a screenshot that I took...


Once you're out into the wastelands you can pretty much go anywhere or do anything. In fact, the lack of any clear goals and the burden of abundance of choice might bother people who don't like open "sandbox" style games. Personally, the first thing I did was hit the biggest town, Megaton, which appears to be the main town in the game. Once you get there you can interact with the townspeople and take on missions in and out of town. You can also buy things and try to get or buy information. Most of your missions will take you out of town, and there's tons of choice involved in how to accomplish the goals you're given. (In fact you can choose to save the town by disarming the bomb at its center or you can accept a bribe to detonate it and blow up the town.)

The combat system is pretty flexible. You can play it in standard third person view (like FALLOUT 1 and 2), or third person over the shoulder (RESIDENT EVIL 4, GEARS OF WAR, DEAD SPACE), or even in first person. There's also a more traditional RPG, VAT mode, where the action stops and you can choose where to attack on an enemy (head, torso, etc) and then the attacks are executed. Unlike the other modes, VAT is based on a bar that you expend in VAT action and it slowly recharges.

So far, the only thing I can't stand is the lockpicking mini-game mechanic. I'm never able to opening anything via lockpicking.

One fun thing I did was after venturing out into the world a bit, I returned to the main town in the game, Megaton. I decided to indulge my curiosity and see what was in the armory, which is locked. That was a bad idea. I got caught and the entire town came after me. We're talking beatings and guns. I couldn't even escape the town, finally I had to reload an earlier save.

I've heard some people are having trouble running the game, but aside from a crash when I alt+tab out of the game, I haven't had a single problem. I'm running the game at 1440x900, and it plays pretty smoothly and looks good. I also like that the icon didn't need to be replaced with a higher-quality custom made one to look good on my dock.

I also really like the music on the (few) radio stations in the game. I've been trying to track down the names of the songs and artists, and the few that I have found, I've gone and downloaded. (Hey, these are all people that are long dead. I'm not too worried about them tracking me down.)

I don't know what my opinion of the game will be after I finish it, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment