Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Links For 4-28-2009 Part 1 (of 2)

Since I had so many links today I decided to split my link post into two. This one is all of the non-entertainment and video games stuff.

Health And Science

Doctor: There is "absolutely no way" cloned humans won't happen. YES! I want a spare body. I don't care about the moral, ethical or legal implications, blah blah blah. Immortality should be mine.

The difference between Swine Flu and a trip to Mexico. I laughed at this image. As for the current dose of, "we all gonna die!" the news is stuffing down our throats, I'll quote myself from two Twitter posts I just made: "Swine Flu is the new over-inflated disease media panic. The monkeypox, SARS, or Avian Flu of 2009. Until things look like Stephen King's THE STAND or the BBC's SURVIVORS, I'm not going to worry." Honestly, the overblown media coverage of this thing is going to get annoying for the next month or so.

'PAC-MAN' enzyme may eat away at Alzheimer's. That's awesome. I've got a relative with Alzheimers, so hopefully this can help him out. Although, he's pretty old, so by the time they move this past the lab and clinical trial phases, it'll probably be too late for him.

Crime And Amusement

Dolph Lundgren scares off armed burglars. Yeah, if I were that burgler, I'd be thinking, "I picked the wrooooong house!"

Parents accused of taking children on burglary. Yeah, that's right mom and dad. Get them a head start on their future careers!

Tiny Chicken, It's Not A Euphamism

KFC's grilled chicken giveaway used very small chickens. The KFC closest to me had a sign saying they didn't even get any of the new roasted chicken. I didn't care about the free promotion, I wanted an actual meal. I sure hope the actual meal you pay for has a more generous portion than the one in the picture.

Fun With Politics

Massachusetts House debating sales tax hike; governor threatens veto. Wait, what? The "let's tax everything" governor is actually against raising the sales tax? I guess the cliche about even a broken clock being right twice a day rings true. A sales tax hike would be a tough sell in an economy that was doing well, let alone in a (let's face it) depression.

Of course, the House passed it: Massachusetts House of Representatives OKs raising sales tax to 6.25 percent in late-night vote. So hurray. Things are now a bit more expensive in Massachusetts.

Texas' governor, the same governor who wanted was talking up seceeding from the United State recently, is now Perry takes precautionary measures to address swine flu">running to that same government for help. If it weren't for the voters in that state who can't control the idiot in office, I'd say that it'd be a beautiful thing to see the White House tell the guy to solve his own problem since he's in such a huff about wanting to separate from the US.

Communications Companies Mining For Gold (In Our Pockets)

ISPs push for data caps while profits soar, costs decline. What this boils down to is they want to charge more give less. Saying that "people who use it more should pay more" is a way of not saying that they've been vastly over-charging the people out there who barely touch their computers.

Man downloads movie while in Mexico, receives $62,000 wireless bill. That's absolutely insane.

Complaining About Copyright Stuff

The more things change... the more they stay the same, music piracy edition. There's an article making the rounds from 1897 (really, that's not a typo, 1897 not 1987). The article is about the music business bitching about people selling or distributing "bootleg" sheet music. That's right, they've been complaining about piracy for over a hundred years!

EU extends musical copyrights by 20 years, eyes movies next. Geez, I wish somebody would pay me for the rest of my life off of something I did twenty years ago.

RapidShare hands over user info in Germany, users panic. It's uploaded user info for a few leaked before the release date albums. Still, it's a slippery slope, isn't it?

Swedish ISPs obstruct new anti-piracy legislation. That's very smart of them. The ISPs over there know what the public sentiment is towards downloading, and the ISPs are doing what they can to keep their customers. Good for them!

English transcript of Pirate Bay guilty verdicts released. For those of you who want to sift through a bunch of legalese. Meanwhile, Pirate Bay lawyer files for retrial, cites bias. So that filing for re-trial is official now.

Translated Japanese Comics Made Available For Free to Combat Piracy. I gave up on anime a long time ago, but I still follow a few mangas. I don't think any of the mangas I read are released by Viz, but it's a smart movie. Scanslations are great. Waiting a few years for the US publishers to catch up would be awful. GANTZ is up to chapter 297 scanslated. I know a few volumes have come out in the US, but I have a hard time believing that they're even at the half-way mark to where I've already read.

Public booted from DVD copying trial over 'secret' CSS code. Worst kept secret ever. It was cracked and made public knowledge years ago.

Pirate Bay opponents hit by denial-of-service. Again, this just makes file sharers look like cyber-vandals and doesn't help. Good intention, but bad idea.

BBC presents MPAA propaganda on movie piracy, claims it's 'fully balanced'. Well, to be realistic, it's not like the BBC don't some common worries with the MPAA. People pirate BBC shows all the time, especially those of us overseas. I'd imagine that not only are they annoyed that people who don't pay the regular TV license fees are getting the programs, but that it could, in their eyes, cut into DVD and overseas broadcast rights sales. All I know for sure is, if it weren't for "illegal downloading", I wouldn't own many legit imported DVDs (THE IT CROWD, SPACED, COUPLING, PEEP SHOW, etc).

0 comments:

Post a Comment