Cap This
Well, first Time Warner were receiving more protests over tiered bandwidth caps. So, they decided to temporarily put a halt on their plans to expand their tiered internet caps in other markets. Time Warner Cable shelves broadband usage billing.
Really though, it's just temporary: TWC delays metered broadband test so they can "educate" a "vocal minority" TWC's CEO says, "We still believe that Road Runner customers who use less should pay less, and that those who use more should pay more." Right. The thing is, what they charge everybody currently is just about the right rate for regular to heavy usage (in fact the average cable internet rate is still far more expensive for faster unlimited service in some other countries). The people that use the internet less (grandma checking her email and one or two websites a week) are the ones who are over-charged. They have been for a long, long time now. Of course, the cable companies can't come out and admit they've been over-charging these people for years. Their plan should've been to create lower-priced slower speed/bandwidth transfer options for light users. Instead, their idea was to jack up their rates, set a low bandwidth cap and overcharge per gig for every little bit customers used over the limit.
This was a cashgrab and an attempt to stifle the competition of online video. Nothing more, nothing less. (And Time Warner aren't the only ones who want that.)
Other Things
John Madden retires from NFL broadcasting. I'm not into football or the MADDEN series of football video games, but this is pretty noteworthy. (The games will still keep going despite his retirement.)
Police learning to make good use of Twitter. Idiots bragging about illegal things they do online shouldn't be viewed as something that should be censored, which so far has been the common reaction. Instead, using it to catch these chuckleheads, like some cops have done, is a great idea!
Entertainment
OMG TEH MOVIE SUX!!!: Texting on the Big Screen. Yeah, as if movie audiences aren't annoying enough*, now they want to make it so the idiots around you can text things and they show up on the screen. Whoever came up with this should be sterilized and then beaten with a tire iron.
* The other people in theaters are why I rarely go to theaters to see movies anymore. Home theater is where it's at.
Now this G.I. JOE looks awesome!. A new PG-13 animated movie on Adult Swim. Oh, and it's written by mad genius Warren Ellis. So it might be worth a watch.
Thomas Dekker cast in ELM STREET rehash. I know everybody knows him from TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES and HEROES, but I'll always think of him as one of the creepy little kids from John Carpenter's remake of VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED.
Blu-Ray release for LORD OF THE RINGS offers theatrical cuts only. Unsurprising. They did the same thing with the DVDs. Expect a double-dip within a few months.
Eli Roth's BIG plans. He's been planning to do a sci-fi movie, but he wants part of the money for that sci-fi movie to go into making THANKSGIVING. Some of you might remember THANKSGIVING as his fake movie trailer from GRINDHOUSE. It actually looked like it could be a fun throwback slasher flick, and I hope it gets made.
Bad news from the world of comics, YOUNG LIARS cancelled. That's a shame. I read the entire run of (14) issues that have come out so far over the weekend, and I think the series is excellent. Strange and a bit confusing at times, but excellent. The only upside to this is maybe this might spur Lapham to finally go back and do more STRAY BULLETS.
Video Games
Sony claims big name games sell better on PS3. Sony are run by crazy people. Seriously.
GameStop CEO calls for PS3, Wii price cuts. I doubt Sony will listen. Still, everybody from consumers to retailers want lower prices on the PS3 (and Wii), yet it's falling on deaf ears.
On the other side, something Sony is right about: Sony's John Koller says 'tangible disc' still important. Well as long as things like bandwidth caps exist, that's probably very very true.
Interplay may lose its license to make Fallout MMO
Microsoft introduces new Xbox 360 Platinum Hits packaging that actually looks good That looks so much better than what they were using. I've got a few Platinum Hits 360 games, and I wish they had that newer format. (Seriously, the cases for my copies of F.E.A.R. and SAINTS ROW are eyesores.)
Video: PAC-MAN meets reality, chaos ensues. Those PAC-MAN suits are great, and I got a laugh out of this.
Well, first Time Warner were receiving more protests over tiered bandwidth caps. So, they decided to temporarily put a halt on their plans to expand their tiered internet caps in other markets. Time Warner Cable shelves broadband usage billing.
Really though, it's just temporary: TWC delays metered broadband test so they can "educate" a "vocal minority" TWC's CEO says, "We still believe that Road Runner customers who use less should pay less, and that those who use more should pay more." Right. The thing is, what they charge everybody currently is just about the right rate for regular to heavy usage (in fact the average cable internet rate is still far more expensive for faster unlimited service in some other countries). The people that use the internet less (grandma checking her email and one or two websites a week) are the ones who are over-charged. They have been for a long, long time now. Of course, the cable companies can't come out and admit they've been over-charging these people for years. Their plan should've been to create lower-priced slower speed/bandwidth transfer options for light users. Instead, their idea was to jack up their rates, set a low bandwidth cap and overcharge per gig for every little bit customers used over the limit.
This was a cashgrab and an attempt to stifle the competition of online video. Nothing more, nothing less. (And Time Warner aren't the only ones who want that.)
Other Things
John Madden retires from NFL broadcasting. I'm not into football or the MADDEN series of football video games, but this is pretty noteworthy. (The games will still keep going despite his retirement.)
Police learning to make good use of Twitter. Idiots bragging about illegal things they do online shouldn't be viewed as something that should be censored, which so far has been the common reaction. Instead, using it to catch these chuckleheads, like some cops have done, is a great idea!
Entertainment
OMG TEH MOVIE SUX!!!: Texting on the Big Screen. Yeah, as if movie audiences aren't annoying enough*, now they want to make it so the idiots around you can text things and they show up on the screen. Whoever came up with this should be sterilized and then beaten with a tire iron.
* The other people in theaters are why I rarely go to theaters to see movies anymore. Home theater is where it's at.
Now this G.I. JOE looks awesome!. A new PG-13 animated movie on Adult Swim. Oh, and it's written by mad genius Warren Ellis. So it might be worth a watch.
Thomas Dekker cast in ELM STREET rehash. I know everybody knows him from TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES and HEROES, but I'll always think of him as one of the creepy little kids from John Carpenter's remake of VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED.
Blu-Ray release for LORD OF THE RINGS offers theatrical cuts only. Unsurprising. They did the same thing with the DVDs. Expect a double-dip within a few months.
Eli Roth's BIG plans. He's been planning to do a sci-fi movie, but he wants part of the money for that sci-fi movie to go into making THANKSGIVING. Some of you might remember THANKSGIVING as his fake movie trailer from GRINDHOUSE. It actually looked like it could be a fun throwback slasher flick, and I hope it gets made.
Bad news from the world of comics, YOUNG LIARS cancelled. That's a shame. I read the entire run of (14) issues that have come out so far over the weekend, and I think the series is excellent. Strange and a bit confusing at times, but excellent. The only upside to this is maybe this might spur Lapham to finally go back and do more STRAY BULLETS.
Video Games
Sony claims big name games sell better on PS3. Sony are run by crazy people. Seriously.
GameStop CEO calls for PS3, Wii price cuts. I doubt Sony will listen. Still, everybody from consumers to retailers want lower prices on the PS3 (and Wii), yet it's falling on deaf ears.
On the other side, something Sony is right about: Sony's John Koller says 'tangible disc' still important. Well as long as things like bandwidth caps exist, that's probably very very true.
Interplay may lose its license to make Fallout MMO
Microsoft introduces new Xbox 360 Platinum Hits packaging that actually looks good That looks so much better than what they were using. I've got a few Platinum Hits 360 games, and I wish they had that newer format. (Seriously, the cases for my copies of F.E.A.R. and SAINTS ROW are eyesores.)
Video: PAC-MAN meets reality, chaos ensues. Those PAC-MAN suits are great, and I got a laugh out of this.
0 comments:
Post a Comment