Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Monday Night TV From 3-9-2009

In the order I viewed them...

BIG BANG THEORY: This was the much anticipated, on TV nerd news websites at least, episode guest-starring Summer Glau, of FIREFLY and TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES fame. Honestly, it felt like just another episode to me. Glau's performance, as herself, was even more wooden than her acting on TERMINATOR. There she's playing an emotionless robot, so it works. On a sitcom? Not so much. Her guest-starring role was actually a bit painful to watch. (I did find her work on FIREFLY and SERENITY much better.) At least the regular cast members carried her a bit.

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER: I'm still finding it hard to muster any enthusiasm for this show, which I used to really like, these days. The concept of this episode was one I can relate to, with Ted getting back together repeatedly with a girl that was just wrong for him. There were some funny bits. I don't know. This season just hasn't done anything for me as a viewer. Is it just me?

24: Spoilers! I was bummed that they killed off Bill. I honestly figured, that like Jack and Chloe, that he was pretty much one of the few characters they wouldn't kill off. I honestly thought the "old character" that was going to die was going to be Aaron. I really grew to like the Bill character over the past few seasons, so I'm sad to see him go. They really seemed to gloss over his death, and went right back to trying to find the real bad guy. The bulk of the action was in the first few minutes of the episode and the rest seemed like setup and a bit of filler. Most of the episode seemed to be about Sherry Palmer 2.0 (the President's daughter) and the guy in charge of the FBI feeling slighted because Agent Freckles clearly wants to bang Jack more than him. Then there's Jack's storyline. Sigh. I've already lost count of how many times Jack has gone rogue and been hunted by the authorities this season alone, but by the end of the episode we're back to that riff.


HEROES: I spend most of my time while I'm watching this show thinking of ways that I would improve the show. I also find myself thinking about the gaping holes in the plot. (Isn't there an injection or something that gets rid of powers? I recall something like the from the first two seasons. Why are they bothering to atttempt to round up and imprison people with powers when it would be far simpler to quietly de-power them?) While the last few episodes have been better, this show is still a mess. Even worse, it's become incredibly boring. It's still coasting on the hype from the first season, which is why it got renewed for another season already. Which leaves people worried that it got a pick up when CHUCK might not.

CHUCK: This episode, while good, felt pretty standard up until the last two scenes. The first ending scene seemed like the same (and rapidly becoming annoying) "we can't have this fake relationship anymore, Sarah," bit the show has leaned on more than once in the past. Instead they did a nice little twist on that. Then the final scene showing that Chuck is watching out for himself more than anybody thought was a nice touch. The preview for upcoming episodes looks great, and it'll be interesting watching it all play out. As for the meat of this episode, it was amusing seeing Chuck go into action with a firearm for the first time, and it's always nice to see Robert Picardo on TV.

I also DVRed the premiere of CASTLE and I'll watch it tomorrow since there's nothing on on Tuesday night. I'm giving it a chance because I like Nathan Fillion as an actor, but he has some really bad luck with cancelled shows.

2 comments:

Equis said...

I think the power removing injection went up in smoke with Primatech. But I might be thinking about the inection that gives you powers. Either way I thought that was why Tracy picked up Mohinder after the explosion to recreate whatever might have been destroyed. What happened to all that?

Mike said...

Still, figuring out how to de-power these people (again), and doing it on the sly, would've been far more sensible and easier than rounding them up and imprisoning them with zero due process. (Including kidnapping a Japanese national.)

Plus I fail to see the threat that those with passive abilities, like Claire, pose. I mean, all she does is heal. Sure, I can see legitimate concern about somebody who can shoot electricity from their hands, but I'm not so worried about the guy who can breathe underwater or fly.

Post a Comment