Sunday, March 8, 2009

Links For 3-8-2009

Clearing out the starred items in my Google Reader...

A Bit Of A Mix

The 9 Levels of Cosplay Hell. This one doesn't even need a comment.

Fox News reports that there are now bread lines in Southern California. Still no word yet on the reappearance of tin can fires. We're doomed. Doooooomed!

Group reveals there are ways to fight child porn other than useless web filters. Well that shoots holes in the "we need filters to stop kiddie smut, oh and coincidentally try to prevent file-sharing" argument.

Half of all UK children are pirates. The other half are either lying about it, or don't have computers.

Oh look... RIAA still filing lawsuits... Well, who really thought that they would stop suing people?

Entertainment

WATCHMEN tops box office with $55.7M. Opinion on whether it was any good or not seems pretty divided.

ABC looking for huge summer IMPACT. The idea behind this sci-fi mini-series, the moon is about to crash into the Earth, is an interesting idea. I may have to look for the original German version (with subtitles) on the internet.

As I mentioned before, HEROES will live on for fourth season. What's interesting to note though is that, "NBC has discussed setting a date for concluding Heroes, and constructing the remaining episodes with a view to creating an overarching storyline, a la LOST and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA."

LOST: Official announcements for Blu-ray Discs of LOST's First 2 Seasons They come out on June 16th. I might actually have to upgrade my DVDs.

Video Games

Censor demands jail for parents who let kids play violent games. While jail time isn't the answer (too extreme?), I do think that parents need to be held accountable somehow for their kids behavior.

CALL OF DUTY helps Rabbi overcome fear of Nazis. So take that anti-game jerks!

BIOSHOCK 2 to feature Big Sisters? I wonder how that would work? Is 2 a prequel or sequel. I imagine if they have "Big Sisters", it'd have to be a sequel, otherwise wouldn't we have seen them or what's left of them in the first BIOSHOCK?

GameStop: Amazon trade-in program has 'zero chance' of success. Sounds like some sour grapes to me.

New PAC-MAN in the works for 2010. I grew up with PAC-MAN, so I'm a lifelong fan.

Square Enix execs take self-imposed pay cut. I've got more respect for the guys running that company. Most other company execs resort of layoffs first before losing a single dime out of their own pockets.

Anthropologist: RESIDENT EVIL 5 racism claims are silly. I doubt this will silence any of the mouth-breathers convinced that RE5 is "racist".

Wii to get RESIDENT EVIL: CODE VERONICA Update? I guess we'll find out later this week what the big Wii RESIDENT EVIL announcement is.

2 comments:

Nawtykitty said...

Don't know if you read my tweets, but I caught the matinee of Watchmen on sunday. I really liked it. I knew it couldn't be like the comic in every detail, but I thought it hit all the main points as well as deal with the questions about humanity. Plus I really liked how they made all the characters look vulnerable just like the original book. My wife was super upset about how it was marketed. She was expecting all this action, but got a story driven movie instead. She liked it a lot, but she really wanted to see an action flick. But overall she liked it. I have to agree about the way it was marketed as well. They tried to make it like 300, but it sooo wasn't. I have to say that I liked it for what it was. Nothing more.

Mike said...

You're not the first person to point out that the advertising for WATCHMEN was very deceptive. A lot of people noted that it made it look like a typical super hero movie.

Frankly, the story, the main plot of WATCHMEN could've just as easily been told with something like spies instead of superheroes.

Post a Comment