Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Links For 2-3-2009

Non-Specific

Good manners shut down would-be robber. The masked man stopped, looked at the store clerk and said: "You're the first person to ask me to leave in such a nice way (and) because of that I will leave." Sadly, that sort of thing would never work here in America. All that would get you is a dead store clerk.

Has change come to biology? Stem cell research under Obama. Cool. This sort of thing could help people. Now, let's work on making cloning perfectly legal. I need an extra body for when this one wears out.

Entertainment

LIFE ON MARS' latest time-travel not working out. I guess I'm not the only one not watching this show. I liked the original, but had zero interest in the remake. Aside from figuring it'd be a bad remake, I didn't think I'd bother gambling on a show that was highly likely (sci-fi concept) to get cancelled.

Warrant issued for "Girls Gone Wild" creator. For tax evasion, not for making shitty softcore.

TNT renews LEVERAGE for a second season. Nice. I like my off-brand version of HUSTLE. It makes for nice filler while waiting for new episodes of the real thing.

Bale went ballistic. Yeah, I'm sure you've already seen this, since it's everywhere. But for that one or two of you who haven't yet.

Super Bowl interrupted by porn - update. A blast of unexpected full-frontal dudity must've ruined quite a few Super Bowl parties.

Resident Evil 5

The first RESIDENT EVIL 5 review is in. If you're too lazy to follow the link, the review was positive.

Seriously, there's no run and gun in Resident Evil 5, but here are your options. People complaining about the controls of RE5 must've never played any of the other games in the series. I guess those people are coming over from the GEARS OF WAR games, which admittedly were influenced by RESIDENT EVIL 4.

The RESIDENT EVIL 5 demo has proved somewhat popular with 1.8 million people. It'll be interesting to see how that translates into sales, since demos usually aren't great representations of the game. I know I didn't like the RE5 demo too much, but I'm still eagerly anticipating the game.

A side note: Originally, I was planning on getting RESIDENT EVIL 5 for the Playstation 3, but learning that the PS3 version will max out at 720p has me swayed towards the Xbox version. I'm assuming until I hear or read otherwise, that the 360 will get a version that does 1080p. It's a shame about the PS3 version. I was hoping to add a third game to my library. Also, the 360 makes me nervous everytime I turn it on because I keep waiting for the red ring of death.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The only problem with resident evil is that they have had about 10 some odd years to create a better button layout. Dead Space used a similar control layout and it works perfectly. I dont see why Capcom has to keep up with this trend. Resident Evil games are crap for the most part because of the terrible controls.

Mike said...

RE 4 was a gigantic leap forward for the RE series. After playing 4, I found it nearly impossible to play the older games. I didn't find much difficulty adjusting to the controls of that game.

If they were to make the controls in RE5 more like recent Western games, I wouldn't have any complaints. But I also don't have any complaints if the controls are pretty much the same as RE4. (My gripe with RE4 is having a shitty AI partner for the entire game that you have to babysit. At least in 4 you spent a significant part of the game alone, or usually you could temporarily stash the AI partner in a safe hiding spot.)

I just think it's odd that people want RESIDENT EVIL to play like DEAD SPACE or GEARS OF WAR. (Two games which borrowed quite a bit from RE4.) I don't play the METAL GEAR SOLID games and expect them to play like the SPLINTER CELL series just because both are stealth spy games.

Unknown said...

Thats also a very good point, the Metal Gear and Splinter Cell comparison.

Really, when it all boils down to it, I dont have the patience for a Resident Evil game I guess hah.

Also, I found the story about Cobequid Needs absolutely hilarious, Ive been there several times, a friend of mine lives close.

Mike said...

I can definitely understand not having the patience for old RE-style game play. Like I've said repeatedly, 4 was a huge leap towards making the games more playable.

I really should re-play the 5 demo with one of the other control schemes to see how much of a difference that makes.

Post a Comment