Sunday, February 1, 2009

Links For 2-1-2009 - All Entertainment News Stories Edition

Why Fugitives is HEROES' last chance. Most of HEROES viewers are tired of waiting for the show to improve and are ready to jump ship. Not helping HEROES will be the immediate competition from 24. It'll be easy to see if the writers have been listening, since the list of complaints about the show is fairly universal. If the annoying elements are still there, then it'll be time to move onto something else. I guess we'll see what happens when HEROES, along with CHUCK, returns tomorrow night.


Revenge Of The Nerds: Oscars Boycott. I read a lot of "nerd" sites, and while I saw a lot of moaning and groaning about THE DARK KNIGHT getting snubbed, I must've missed anything about a boycott. (Boycotting something you weren't going to watch anyway isn't much of a sacrifice.) Personally, while I thought TDK was a pretty good movie, I think it was vastly overrated. (I did ask for and received the Blu-Ray for Christmas, because most reviews said it was a "reference disc" for picture and sound.) I don't see why anybody really cares about these awards anyway. The Oscars aren't that important. ANNIE HALL beat STAR WARS for the Oscar, and when's the last time you heard anybody reference that movie? Yet over thirty years later, STAR WARS is still in the collective consciousness of most of the planet. (To the point of annoyance in some cases.) Even people have never seen STAR WARS know something or other about it.

Should the length of a season be cut? For years now I've maintained that shorter seasons and shows planned to have a finite life might be the way to go. Less episodes means less filler and finite endings eliminates padding and forcing a show to go longer than it should've. Of course, most commenters there are worried if that happens that doesn't mean more scripted shows with better quality like it does in other countries, but instead we'll just get more game shows for dumb people (Oooh pick a briefcase! Duuuurrr!) and shitty reality shows. They're probably right.

2 comments:

Equis said...

I watch the Oscars for the red carpet and to bitch about who doesn't win. Having an office pool always helps the 4 hours pass.

Mike said...

The show is four hours long? Wow, I can't even bring myself to bother reading the entire list of winners when they're posted online. I can't imagine what sort of intestinal fortitude it takes to sit through four hours of the film industry patting itself on the back.

Post a Comment