Sunday, January 11, 2009

Windows In Windows. Must Be Sorcery.

I was too chicken to install the Windows 7 beta as my main OS and didn't want to screw around with dual-booting. Instead, I went the virtual PC route to see how I liked it.


Unfortunately, you can't use the Aero theme features in a virtual machine. Still, that's just looks for the most part. Overall, 7 seems pretty cool. Essentially, and I'm probably repeating myself here, it's what Vista should've been. I didn't really use it extensively, just screwed around for a little bit on Friday night.

When the final version of 7 comes out, I'm definitely upgrading my main machine. Since the new taskbar is fairly similar to a dock, I imagine that I won't have a need for Rocketdock anymore. (Although, my older PIII 850 MHz won't be getting the upgrade. It's still XP and a dock for that box.)

As you can tell from the screenshot, I'm running XP with a 7 inspired theme at the moment. Both on the main machine (where the screenshot came from) and my older PIII box.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Upgrading wasn't that big of a deal.. but I decided to go with the Dual Boot on mine...

I agree.. it is everything Vista should have been.

Unknown said...

much like i wouldn't buy a new car model (or even major redesign) during the first year, i wouldn't get a new windows for at least a year, unless it's maybe on a spare machine that i don't mind reformatting.

Post a Comment