Monday, January 12, 2009

Links For 1-12-2008

Hardware hacker charged with selling cable modems that get free broadband. He got nailed for the selling, not using. They're hard to detect. Sounds like a great way to get around bandwidth caps.

Bad economy takes pizzazz out of CES. Imagine that. Nobody has as much money as they used to, most people are losing their jobs, and people aren't jazzed about expensive gadgets? How can this be?!?

How ASCAP And BMI are harming up-and-coming singers. Eventually they'll probably want to charge you everytime you play a note on a musical instrument. After all, every one of those notes (even out of tune ones!) have been used in copywritten songs.

WATCHMEN producer explains why Fox doesn't deserve a cut. Essentially, they had the rights to do the movie, and because they didn't want to do it the project sat on a shelf gathering dust. Now that somebody else has come up with what seems to be a successful way to do it, they want to stop them.

Video Games

Sony: Xbox 360 is too expensive. Even with the breakdown of add-on components adding to the cost, this is crazy talk. The PS3 is a great Blu-Ray player, but still far more over-priced compared to the 360 or Wii.

Playing with others: The death of split-screen. The only multi-player that I'm interested in is when the other player is sitting next to me. Which I guess is a sign that I'm an old man.

IRS official recommends policy on virtual world transactions. I've never gotten into this stuff, but it seems stupid to tax it.

Tomb Raider Underworld Woes

I tried out the PC version of TOMB RAIDER UNDERWORLD and wasn't bowled over. I'll probably finish it eventually, but I definitely abandoned the game the second another game (SAINTS ROW) arrived in my mailbox.

TOMB RAIDER UNDERWORD DLC was meant to be in original game. This is the sort of thing I find worrisome. Companies stripping things out of the games that were meant to be part of that original $60 package, so that they can gouge you for some more money later on.

I guess TRU wasn't such a hot seller based on the next two stories...

Lara Croft getting a female-friendly makeover? I seriously doubt this will help things. They should concentrate more on making her not leap to her death instead of jumping up and grabbing the rock on the side of the wall like I was trying to command her to dammit! (Every time I play a TR game all I can think of is the bit from SPACED with "jump you big titted whore." etc. Hilarious.)

Eidos confirms Crystal Dynamics layoffs. Once again, even the video game industry (which is still very profitable) isn't recession-proof.

0 comments:

Post a Comment