Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Links For 1-28-2009

Fun With Big Business

Whose fault is it when Comcast breaks your utility pole? I've never heard of somebody "owning" the telephone poles in front of their house.

The Digital TV Transition Thingy

I'm sick of commercials for this thing. I've got cable. On the TV without cable, I've got an digital HDTV antenna. Where are these people who don't know about the upcoming switch? They seem like people who haven't been watching enough TV or reading enough to find out about it. In other words, people so poorly informed about the world around them that none of the rest of us should care if they can watch TV or not.

Senate approves delaying digital TV switch to June 12. I was going to write more about this, but most of my talking points were covered over at this TV Squad article: Will more time make the digital TV transition any easier?

Video Games

Massachusetts guv to woo game publishers during west coast junket. Trying to push casinos and attempting to get new tolls on roads coming into the state. Now begging the game industry to come here. My state's current governer is desperate for money. Ironic that the state is trying to lure game developers here, considering that there was talk of legislation on games here at one point last year.

New MATT HAZARD videos make us laugh ... just a little bit. I read about this title is some game rag while sitting on the porcelin throne recently. I hope it hits that magical sub-$30 price point so I can check it out eventually.

Three from Techdirt

UK Gov't insists that file sharers won't be kicked off the internet. I like how they realize that it's about as serious a "crime" as swiping soap from your room before checking out of a hotel.

RIAA found to have sued yet another woman without a computer. This is the sort of reason a "three strikes rule" is absolute bullshit.

Latest pointless law: requiring cameraphones to click when taking photos. There was one occasion where I wanted to secretly photograph somebody with my phone. I was at a concert and I spotted a woman that I was certain had her own porn site. I wanted to take a picture so that I could compare when I got home. I didn't get my shot, but it was definitely the same woman. So that was kinda awesome, while simultaneously slightly creepy and sad of me.

Movies And TV

RED DWARF's return gets spoiled. Not that this is new news, but the "four new episodes" is really "two new episodes" and two non-fiction specials. I don't care. I'll watch it all anyway, since I love me some RED DWARF. (I hope this leads to another series.)

HEROES writer tapped for DAY ONE pilot. This pilot sounds fairly generic. Recent TV shows that it resembles include JERICHO here in the US, and the recent UK remake of the late 70's-early 80's BBC show SURVIVORS. Maybe I'll give it a chance, since I do enjoy post-apocalyptic fiction, but I'm not expecting much.

MACHETE trilogy being fast tracked by the Weinsteins? Based on the fake trailer for MACHETE in GRINDHOUSE, I'm looking forward to this possibly being made. I'd also like to see THANKSGIVING made into an actual movie, provided it's filmed in that low-budget 70s or 80s slasher style that was shown in the trailer.

1 comments:

Nawtykitty said...

Funny you mention the delay and the idiots that will be left out in the cold. I too was wondering what kind could miss all of the info available. Anyway, just saw this on Reuters:

House Fails To Pass DTV Delay Bill
Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:53pm EST


WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An effort to delay the nationwide switch to digital television signals by about four months failed in the House of Representatives on Wednesday.

The legislation, which has the backing of President Barack Obama and already passed the Senate, failed to gain two-thirds support in the House under special rules adopted for the vote.

Consumers groups have been pushing the effort to delay the transition date to June 12 from February 17, worried that 20 million mostly poor, elderly and rural households are not ready for the congressionally mandated switch.

"It's really unfortunate," said Joel Kelsey, an analyst at Consumers Union. "Consumers are staring at a big, fat, unfunded mandate in the midst of an economic crisis."

More than one million people are on a waiting list for $40 government coupons to subsidize the cost of converter boxes needed by those with older televisions. The agency that runs the program ran out of coupons earlier this month.

Democrats may try again next week, but this time in a way that would possibly permit amendments and require a simple majority to pass.

If the House approves any changes, the bill would have to return to the Senate for final passage.

Under the version that passed the Senate, licenses for $16 billion worth of spectrum freed up by the switch, and purchased by AT&T Inc and Verizon Communications, would be extended by about four months.

(Editing by Tim Dobbyn)

Post a Comment