Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Am I Watching Lost Or Some Sort Of Island Doctor Who?

Remember when LOST was a show about the survivors of a plane that crashed on a mysterious island? That alone would've worked. Now with all of this time travel stuff in the current season, I think it might get too convoluted and confusing for a prime time audience on a major network. Don't get me wrong, I love time travel stuff, but I'm a nerd, so I'm predisposed towards loving those sorts of concepts. I just get the sense that people who get confused by this sort of thing will switch over to something like that new show on Fox, LIE TO ME. (I checked that out during LOST's commercial breaks and it seems pretty generic.)

One thing about LOST is I find myself thinking of ways that I would've written it differently. For instance, with all of this time travel stuff, wouldn't it have been an interesting twist if "The Others" would have turned out to have been older versions of the plane crash survivors? Or the island's "original inhabitants", the ones who killed off the Dharma Initiative, turned out to be descendants of the time-displaced plane crash survivors. How about when the remaining group on the island, the ones getting bounced through time, ran into Locke again a bunch of time (decades) had passed for him while only a few hours at most elapsed for them? (Admittedly that's sort of like the RESTAURANT AT THE END OF THE GALAXY portion of the old HITCHHIKER's GUIDE miniseries from the BBC.) Tons of things like those occur to me while watching.

Luckily, LOST is the only show I watch on Wednesdays. I say luckily since it seems like it'll make my head hurt this year. Thursday night's lineup of THE OFFICE, 30 ROCK, BURN NOTICE and a downloaded copy of the newest episode of BBC's HUSTLE make for a crowded evening of viewing.

1 comments:

Equis said...

Yep about five minutes into it I put the laptop down and decided the post will have to come this weekend. I was pausing the TV so I could catch up on my notes way to much to write about and enjoy at the the same time. That or I'm just slow.

Post a Comment