Every year I got the itch to change things up a little on my site as the year draws to a close. This year is no expection. However, this time I didn't want to go for a major overhaul. Just a tiny bit of streamlining. So I took a break from watching TV and my second play through of GEARS OF WAR 2 (which I beat for the first time the other day) to rework a few things on here.
- I decided to switch to a fixed width layout. So I re-tweaked the code of the theme back to it's original fixed width format, but changed the dimensions to suit my needs.
- I wanted to de-clutter the sidebar a bit. To me, it looked like there was just too much stuff on there. So I added a three column section on the bottom for things that I felt could be dropped from the sidebar, but didn't want to drop completely.
- Dropped the Amazon UK widget. I'll still occasionally recommend things from there, but it was sensible to drop it. The majority of my readers are from the US, according to my stats at least. Plus, I have yet to make a single Amazon UK sale. Not that I'm too worried about that, since unlike the US Amazon, my payments from UK would be in the form of gift certificates. So away that went.
- I reduced the number of posts displayed on the main page. That should help speed things up slightly.
I'm not done yet though. I've still got changes to implement, like possibly changing the color of the bottom section and re-doing the remaining Amazon widget (both in terms of content and position). I might also try to find the time to redo the logo.
- I decided to switch to a fixed width layout. So I re-tweaked the code of the theme back to it's original fixed width format, but changed the dimensions to suit my needs.
- I wanted to de-clutter the sidebar a bit. To me, it looked like there was just too much stuff on there. So I added a three column section on the bottom for things that I felt could be dropped from the sidebar, but didn't want to drop completely.
- Dropped the Amazon UK widget. I'll still occasionally recommend things from there, but it was sensible to drop it. The majority of my readers are from the US, according to my stats at least. Plus, I have yet to make a single Amazon UK sale. Not that I'm too worried about that, since unlike the US Amazon, my payments from UK would be in the form of gift certificates. So away that went.
- I reduced the number of posts displayed on the main page. That should help speed things up slightly.
I'm not done yet though. I've still got changes to implement, like possibly changing the color of the bottom section and re-doing the remaining Amazon widget (both in terms of content and position). I might also try to find the time to redo the logo.
0 comments:
Post a Comment