DEAD SPACE is a helluva game.
The basic premise revolves around your character, who's an engineer, dispatched along with a team to answer a distress call from a mining space ship. Once you get there you realize that the crew have all been killed off or turned into horrible monsters. Mayhem ensues. Some people have described it as RESIDENT EVIL and SILENT HILL in space. Honestly, I don't want to describe the plot in detail, because I think it's better to just let the game unfold as you play for the first time.
The basic premise revolves around your character, who's an engineer, dispatched along with a team to answer a distress call from a mining space ship. Once you get there you realize that the crew have all been killed off or turned into horrible monsters. Mayhem ensues. Some people have described it as RESIDENT EVIL and SILENT HILL in space. Honestly, I don't want to describe the plot in detail, because I think it's better to just let the game unfold as you play for the first time.

I should note that the story isn't just limited to the game. There are two prequels in the form of a comic book (from Image, illustrated by Ben Templesmith) and an animated movie. I've read the entire comic series, but haven't gotten to the movie yet.
I got my copy on Friday, but didn't get around to trying it out until Saturday. I didn't get to play very far on my initial tryout, because I had to go out for a bit. I took my first trip to the cemetery since my brother died and then went out to dinner with my parents. Once I got home, around 8 PM, it was time to really bite into the game. I changed into some comfy clothes, grabbed a drink, and clicked the icon. Next thing I knew it was about 3 AM. So it's safe to say that I enjoyed the game. (In fact, it's was an incredible distraction, which is exactly what I needed.)
I finished off my first run through late Sunday night. I'll probably do another play through, since you get to keep all of your armor and weapon upgrades from the previous game.
I have the PC version, and it ran pretty nice on my system even with my ancient 7600GT video card. I did nudge the resolution down a bit from my monitor's native 1680x1050 to 1440x900. Still the game looked great in it's widescreen glory. I also had the volume cranked up because the audio on the game really adds to the atmosphere. I didn't try it with speakers, but it sounded great through my Sennheiser headphones.
Gameplay is fairly reminiscent of RESIDENT EVIL 4 or GEARS OF WAR with the third person over the shoulder perspective. It's a pretty seamless blend of the creeping dread of horror and shooter action. In some ways, it could very well be this year's BIOSHOCK, which is a statement that I definitely consider to be a compliment.
Don't just take my word for it, try the game out for yourself.
DEAD SPACE for WIndows (PC)
DEAD SPACE for the Xbox 360
DEAD SPACE for the Playstation 3
If you want to check out the prequel movie you can get it at Amazon. DEAD SPACE: DOWNFALL on DVD or DEAD SPACE: DOWNFALL on Blu-Ray.
I got my copy on Friday, but didn't get around to trying it out until Saturday. I didn't get to play very far on my initial tryout, because I had to go out for a bit. I took my first trip to the cemetery since my brother died and then went out to dinner with my parents. Once I got home, around 8 PM, it was time to really bite into the game. I changed into some comfy clothes, grabbed a drink, and clicked the icon. Next thing I knew it was about 3 AM. So it's safe to say that I enjoyed the game. (In fact, it's was an incredible distraction, which is exactly what I needed.)
I finished off my first run through late Sunday night. I'll probably do another play through, since you get to keep all of your armor and weapon upgrades from the previous game.
I have the PC version, and it ran pretty nice on my system even with my ancient 7600GT video card. I did nudge the resolution down a bit from my monitor's native 1680x1050 to 1440x900. Still the game looked great in it's widescreen glory. I also had the volume cranked up because the audio on the game really adds to the atmosphere. I didn't try it with speakers, but it sounded great through my Sennheiser headphones.
Gameplay is fairly reminiscent of RESIDENT EVIL 4 or GEARS OF WAR with the third person over the shoulder perspective. It's a pretty seamless blend of the creeping dread of horror and shooter action. In some ways, it could very well be this year's BIOSHOCK, which is a statement that I definitely consider to be a compliment.
Don't just take my word for it, try the game out for yourself.
DEAD SPACE for WIndows (PC)
DEAD SPACE for the Xbox 360
DEAD SPACE for the Playstation 3
If you want to check out the prequel movie you can get it at Amazon. DEAD SPACE: DOWNFALL on DVD or DEAD SPACE: DOWNFALL on Blu-Ray.
2 comments:
Funny I was curious about this game because I seen the cover on some gaming site. I seen how it got a 9.5 out of 10, funny I did not read anything about the installation problems it had on the PC, from the amazon link you provided this phrase was hilarious:
"When EA keeps giving birth to such beautiful yet stillborn babies (killed by the decision to bundle another infamous SecuROM 7+/LIMITED ACTIVATIONS scheme), one can only ask: WHAT HAVE ITS EXECUTIVES BEEN SMOKING?!"
If anyone else would like to laugh please read the negative amazon comments on this game.
On a side note I will be taking a "risk" getting this game for the PC since it seems in the same vein as gears of war as you stated, that game was the best shooter I have played in years and any game with the same quality and experience is a plus in my book.
Thanks for your review!
–
My Latest Video Tutorial: "How To Rock Out And Be Productive In The Office Or Work At Home Job"
Amazon has become a hotbed of people bitching about game DRM. (I don't blame them either! Even legit buyers who are tech savvy usually seek out a no-disc crack and other ways of circumventing the horrible anti-piracy software these games install on legit copies of the game.)
Post a Comment