Monday, September 22, 2008

TV Overload

It's a big Monday night in TV terms. (Well, for me at least.) In addition to PRISON BREAK, which has been back for a few weeks, there's also the season premieres of HEROES (two hours plus a one-hour special beforehand), HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, and THE BIG BANG THEORY. Which means, that this is the week I'm dropping TERMINATOR from my Monday night viewing. I can only watch one thing live and PVR the other. I don't know if I'll even bother to try watching TERMINATOR online or downloading it. I guess if I read a summary or two that makes it sound worth catch up on, I might. Next week CHUCK gets added back into the mix. (Then in January I have to worry where 24 will fit into all of this, unless they change the day that show airs on.)

4 comments:

Equis said...

Do you like the new PB? I watched the first episode but I can't get with uber serious Michael. I like everyone else and love Michael Rapaport, is it worth going back to? I’m also feeling the overload on Monday’s because I also watch Gossip Girl and The Hills. I have a DVR and a TiVo but still not enough space for all those shows.

Mike said...

PRISON BREAK's biggest advantage is it's fast pace and the cliffhangers every commercial break that would be most show's end of episode (or season) cliffhanger. It's sort of refreshing compared to stuff like HEROES or LOST where they drag mysteries and plots out and for every question they answer they raise even more.

That said, PB can be a dumb show. Most of it is highly implausible. So in some ways, it's a guilty pleasure. I'd say that if you lost interest in it, and there was nothing else you watch competing with it to give it another go. Maybe catch an episode on the official site. Or download it "illegally", since it's currently the top show in terms of "illegal" downloads. (I put "illegally" in quotes because I prefer to think of it as "internet based time shifting". Sounds nicer that way.)

I'd imagine with something like THE HILLS, MTV must rerun that. I know channels like FX and SciFi rerun their shows the same night and usually another night of the week too. I wouldn't be surprised with how hard the CW is milking every drop of publicity they can get out of GOSSIP GIRL (even though it doesn't get the ratings to match the publicity) that they don't do a rerun later in the week. I know they used to do that with some of their other shows, but I don't know if that's still the case since the only thing I watch on there is REAPER. (Did that even get renewed?)

Anyway, those reruns (if available) could ease your PVR/TiVo timeshifting crunch a bit. As long as you don't mind seeing the show hours or days later than you normally would've.

Equis said...

No luck on Reaper, the CW canned it...cause they suck!

Mike said...

REAPER is a 13 episode mid-season show this year. I can see why. It didn't get high ratings, and it's the only show they had that's not aimed at the CW's audience of young women. I'm amazed that it even got a second season pickup at all.

REAPER is an odd fit on that network, since it's the only show aimed at a more general audience as well as the (young) male audience. There are two other shows that could draw males in, but even those seemed more aimed at the 18-34 female demo.

SUPERNATURAL, despite being a monster of the week horror show, is really aimed at young women. All you have to do is look at the two leads. Sure, a guy could watch it, but tell me that show would still be around for a fourth year if the lead actors looked like the guys on REAPER. I like SUPERNATURAL, but I've really lost interest and haven't bothered with it at all this year.

SMALLVILLE is a teen soap opera. Superman for people who don't like Superman, and some die-hards who will watch anything connected with the franchise. I've never watched it, because I can't stomach bad adaptations of comics that I've grown up reading.

Frankly, after the cancellation of VERONICA MARS, I have zero faith in the CW at all, and REAPER aside, zero reason to ever watch anything on there.

Post a Comment