Monday, September 29, 2008

Monday Night TV Viewing For 9-29-2008

BIG BANG THEORY: Given how things are back to exactly where there were, I'd almost think this was an episode from the show's first season. I guess the "nerds and their attractive neighbor who inexplicably hangs around with them" paradigm works better for the writers if that attractive neighbor doesn't date one of the nerds.

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER: This wasn't all that good of an episode. Plus it was a stunt-casting episode, and those usually fail. Do they really think that Regis would bring in viewers to this show? I get that people wanted to see Britney since she was/is a complete trainwreck and they tuned in hoping to see her screwing up. Anyway, not the strongest effort from HIMYM.

HEROES: Wow, unlike last season where new characters that nobody liked were introduced and crammed down our collective throats for the entire season, this year they seem to be introducing people and offing them as quickly as possible. I find it amusing that both of the characters that got killed off tonight were on ATTACK OF THE SHOW earlier in the evening promoting the show. (Yes, I find myself watching AOTS when having my dinner sometimes. It's pretty much the only thing on G4 that I'll watch.) Once again, there seems to be a lot of duplicate powers on this show (hey, it's another guy who has eyes that rutn white while he paints the future) and I could tell even before seeing the preview that we'd probably be seeing a "this is the terrible future we're trying to prevent" episode again next week when both Parkman and the Peters were sent to have a look at what's to come.

PRISON BREAK: This felt like a filler episode. I did have to roll my eyes a bit at how easy it was to escape from the courthouse. (C'mon, where I'm from prisoners brought over to the courthouse by the police for arraignment are usually leg shackled to each other. I found it odd that Mahone wasn't shacked and easily able to disappear.) Between the race track scenes in this episode and the preview showing next week's trip to Vegas, it almost seems like the producers are trying to reinvent this show as some sort of OCEAN'S # or any other "slick criminal group working on x" type of show, sort of a way to keep it going now that breaking out of another prison would be even more implausible than the average viewer would be willing to buy.

I skipped CHUCK's season premiere because I watched it online last week.

Could anybody who watched TERMINATOR let me know what the deal with two Summer Glaus in the preview was about? I dropped the show due to needing to PVR something else while watching the sitcoms live, and I don't really care enough to bother downloading the show or trying to watch it online.

6 comments:

DarckkorioN said...

From what I could gather from watching the episode (it kind of confused me still) Skynet based what Cameron looks like on this girl Allison Young who was part of the resistance. They then kidnapped her and tried to get information out of her so presumably Cameron could infiltrate the camp. There were also undertones of the Allison girl being in love with John Connor.

Mike said...

Oh, that was one of my theories on what that trailer meant. The other two were

1) the machines sent back another of the same model to fight Cameron

2) Cameron runs into the human she was modeled after in the present.

I don't know. Maybe I'll try to catch the episode online or via "alternate means".

Anonymous said...

If I were you I'd really give Terminator another shot. I felt the same way you did last season; I would watch it a few days after it aired on DVR when I was bored, but now it's become must-viewing for me. It's gotten a lot stronger and more focused this season and there's the added benefit of one of the hottest chicks I have ever seen (besides Summer Glau) joining the show as John's love interest. Do a google image search for Leven Rambin. You won't be sorry...

Mike said...

I've been watching up until this week, so I've seen the girl you're talking about.

Dropping TERMINATOR was a matter of "priorities". I can only watch one thing and PVR one thing (unless there's been some sort of firmware upgrade to my cable box that I'm unaware of). Out of the 4 shows in that 8-9pm Monday night timeslot, TERMINATOR is the bottom of the list for me.

Too bad Fox can't ship TERMINATOR over to Wednesdays. There's nothing on that night that I watch, and it's not like the shows they have there now are doing all that hot, one of them just got cancelled.

It'll be interesting to see what Monday nights look like when 24 comes back in a few months.

Eric said...

On Heroes the variable future feels like a nice nod to the long-standing comic book staple of parallel universes in a form that anyone who's seen Back to the Future can wrap their head around. But I still want to know what happened to the Irish chick Peter lost in an alternate future that never happened last season.

Mike said...

Viewers hated that character, and she seems to have been completely forgotten by the writers and by Peter.

Honestly, "alternate future" stuff works best when used sparingly, otherwise it can be a headache. HEROES seems to be making the mistake of going back to that well too many times. That's certainly been the case with some comics and when they do it things become incredibly convoluted and readers defect. So translating that to TV screens and what do you think will happen?

Post a Comment