It seems I've got a disproportionately large amount of "copyright gone wrong" links to share today. So I'm lumping them all into one post. Just to be clear, my opinion on "illegal" downloading is simple: if you like something that you download then you should buy it. Just because I despise the tactics of the media corporations, doesn't mean that I don't buy things that I like. In fact, there are a lot of things that I wouldn't have ever bought if I hadn't downloaded them to check them out first. (Mostly foreign TV shows.) I also consider downloading an episode of a show you normally watch but missed (for whatever reason) to be alright.
Anyway, onto the links...
Music as torture: Are musicians whose music is blasted at Gitmo compensated for public performance? Hey, now the music companies are going after the people they want enforcing their will. Is there anybody left they won't try and squeeze some money out of?
Computer makers giving in to RIAA pressure, disabling sound recording? Looks like it's only some laptop makers. Honestly, with how you can get pro-studio quality recordings out of a laptop and some nice musical equipment these days, I can see the RIAA trying to stomp this sort of thing out. It's what'll render them completely obsolete. Musicians should look at recordings as nothing more than promotional material to essentially be given away for personal use. Especially now that you can record something for next to nothing. Gone are the days where a million dollar studio is necessary. Their income will instead be generated from live performances, merchandise sales, and licensing of their songs for commercial purposes (things like movie/tv soundtracks and usage in video games). Things that, for the most part, don't require a record company. That also means that acts with actual talent will survive and garbage like the Pussycat Dolls would disappear overnight. It's a win for everybody.
Breaking the law: one-third of US residents rip DVDs. I'd imagine another third simply don't want to, and the remaining third just doesn't know how to. If you watch movies on a computer often enough, or have it hooked up to a TV, it's more convenient to have a rip on that computer. I know I've got things that I own on DVD that I've got digital copies stored on my computers.
Entertainment industry continues to try to sneak copyright expansion through ACTA. ACTA is bad enough, but trying to extend the ridiculously long copyright periods even longer? Absurd. So it'll definitely pass. If you combine this story with the one above, basically 1/3 of the population of the US are criminals. They're going to need to fence off a state or two as a giant prison.
US Pirate Party study shatters MPAA claims. Well, it's not like most of the claims and figures bandied about by the RIAA or MPAA have any basis in reality anyway.
Anyway, onto the links...
Music as torture: Are musicians whose music is blasted at Gitmo compensated for public performance? Hey, now the music companies are going after the people they want enforcing their will. Is there anybody left they won't try and squeeze some money out of?
Computer makers giving in to RIAA pressure, disabling sound recording? Looks like it's only some laptop makers. Honestly, with how you can get pro-studio quality recordings out of a laptop and some nice musical equipment these days, I can see the RIAA trying to stomp this sort of thing out. It's what'll render them completely obsolete. Musicians should look at recordings as nothing more than promotional material to essentially be given away for personal use. Especially now that you can record something for next to nothing. Gone are the days where a million dollar studio is necessary. Their income will instead be generated from live performances, merchandise sales, and licensing of their songs for commercial purposes (things like movie/tv soundtracks and usage in video games). Things that, for the most part, don't require a record company. That also means that acts with actual talent will survive and garbage like the Pussycat Dolls would disappear overnight. It's a win for everybody.
Breaking the law: one-third of US residents rip DVDs. I'd imagine another third simply don't want to, and the remaining third just doesn't know how to. If you watch movies on a computer often enough, or have it hooked up to a TV, it's more convenient to have a rip on that computer. I know I've got things that I own on DVD that I've got digital copies stored on my computers.
Entertainment industry continues to try to sneak copyright expansion through ACTA. ACTA is bad enough, but trying to extend the ridiculously long copyright periods even longer? Absurd. So it'll definitely pass. If you combine this story with the one above, basically 1/3 of the population of the US are criminals. They're going to need to fence off a state or two as a giant prison.
US Pirate Party study shatters MPAA claims. Well, it's not like most of the claims and figures bandied about by the RIAA or MPAA have any basis in reality anyway.
0 comments:
Post a Comment