Monday, January 24, 2011

Late Month Thought Dump

Wow, I've only made one post so far this year. That's pretty terrible.

Right now, as I write this, it's ridiculously cold here...


That's kind of unacceptable.

Firefox 4
Firefox 4 is supposed to come out at the end of next month. I've been messing with it a bit on my USB thumbdrive on my main computer. I also made it the main browser on my spare computer, which is an older, slower machine. It seems to run a lot better on the old PC than 3.x ever did. Messing with the beta has let me figure out how to get some of the customizations I'll want to add to my installation when the final version comes out. (Like adding the RSS icon back into the "awesomebar", some menu cleanups (I like my bookmarks toolbar to be icons only), etc. Anyway, I think it's a nice upgrade.

Video Games
DEAD SPACE 2 comes out this week. As much as I liked the first game, which I played through a few times, I think I'm going to hold off on this one. It's not an, "I must get this at launch!!!" title for me. I definitely want to pick it up. I figure if I wait the price will drop.

I've been replaying some older titles in my 360 library. I replayed BIOSHOCK, and I was annoyed I missed a few achievements. I was hoping to nail 100% on my first play-through. Right now I'm playing through SPLINTER CELL: DOUBLE AGENT. When I finish that I'm deciding between the first DEAD RISING or SAINTS ROW.

Poker
I went on a downswing and decided that I should move down a level in stakes. I'm hoping to move back up again before the end of the month. If I don't then I don't. I'm not going to force it. I need to be comfortably rolled for that stake, where I'm not worried about the money. While I still had enough in my bankroll to not have to move down, I think for my peace of mind it was the right move.

I've also been watching a training video a day every single day. I take notes on everything, pausing and predicting, especially noting instances where I would've made a wrong move if I were the one in the coach's shoes. I note my reasoning for why I'd make a certain move vs why the coach wouldn't have. It's a great way to improve your thought process. (Admittedly, watching videos this way takes a long time, so a one hour video can take three pluss hours to watch. That's why I usually do them in halves or thirds. Watching the first portion early in the day, the rest later on, or sometimes starting a video on one day and finsihing it the next.) I've only missed one day, and that was because I opted to play an extra session instead. (I set out to play a short session and then watch a video, but then after 1k hands, I just was burned out on poker for the rest of the night.)

TV
THE CAPE isn't winning me over. I saw the plot twist coming with Oracle, I mean Summer Glau's character from the first episode. At first I thought midget was one of those midget wrestlers, but then I remembered he was on SCRUBS. Anyway, it's just a bad knock off of Batman so far.

Since CASTLE wasn't on, I gave that new Kathy Bates show's pilot a watch. It wasn't too bad. A bit cliche and obvious in some parts, but she's such a good actress you can kind of overlook the flaws.

I also wasn't nuts about what little I saw of Olivia Munn's new show. Right now the only good show NBC has on Thursdays is COMMUNITY (loved the Theo Huxtable nod in the latest episode). THE OFFICE has been downhill since season four, and 30 ROCK has been losing me since last year.

I'm still trying to figure out why I watch NO ORDINARY FAMILY (I keep waiting for something to happen) and V (it's bad, but compelling enough to keep me coming back) on Tuesdays.

I'll probably disappear for another month now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment